Poveda tallies her 18th-career double-double
WORCESTER, Massachusetts (November 5, 2019) – The Stonehill College volleyball team won in three-straight sets against Northeast-10 Conference foe Assumption College for the second time this season with set scores of 25-22, 25-17, and 26-24 Tuesday night at Andrew Laska Gymnasium.
By The Numbers:
- Stonehill (15-8, 8-3 NE10) saw junior Sophia Poveda with her 18th-career double-double registering 12 digs and kills with a .280 hitting percentage. Besides Poveda, senior Rachel Dunlavy was the only other Skyhawk with double-digit digs as she saw a match-high 20 digs.
- Sophomore Abby Remick was the only other Skyhawk to tally double-digit kills as she notched 10 with a .348 hitting clip.
- Three Skyhawks tallied two aces, Jessica Givens, Molly Turner, and Shannon Burgess.
- Assumption (3-18, 1-10 NE10) saw Alana Hruska with a team-high nine kills, while Laine Peterson and Ariana Orcera recorded 14 and 13 digs, respectively. Hruska also totaled a match-high six blocks, while Mary Campbell recorded four blocks.
How it Happened:
- With 10 tied scores in the first game, Assumption saw its largest lead of three, 8-5, before maintained the lead. The Skyhawks held a four-point advantage, 20-16, before the Greyhounds tied the game up three more times, 22-22, but Stonehill wrapped up the set with three more points to win 25-22.
Remick was one of two Skyhawks with double-digit kills, as she tallied 10 (PHOTO BY: Andrew Katsampes)
- The score toggled back and forth as Assumption held a two-point lead, 14-12, before Stonehill took over the lead with four-straight points off Poveda's serve, 16-14. The Greyhounds fought back and were able to come within three, 21-24, but Stonehill held on for a 26-24 victory.
Outside the Lines:
- Stonehill has defeated Assumption now 16-straight times, dating all the way back to 2008.
- Out of the 16-straight victories, 12 of them have been scores of 3-0, including the two from this year.
Stonehill wraps up their regular season away schedule with a NE10 Conference battle against the University of New Haven on Saturday, November 1 with a start time of 1:00 p.m. at Charger Gymnasium. The Skyhawks will conclude their regular season with a match at home on Saturday, November 16 at Merkert Gymnasium as they host Southern Connecticut State University with a start time of 1:00 p.m.
For the latest on Stonehill Athletics, follow the Skyhawks via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Stonehill Skyhawks "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.