Second half goal is enough for Owls to advance to semifinals
EASTON, Massachusetts (November 10, 2019) – The Stonehill College women's soccer team, who entered the Northeast-10 Conference Tournament as the second seed, fell to Southern Connecticut State University, who is the seventh seed, with a score of 1-0 in the NE10 quarterfinal game on Skyhawk Field Sunday afternoon. Stonehill is ranked No. 3 in the NCAA Division II East Region, as well as No. 19 in this week's United Soccer Coaches' National poll and No. 2 in the East Regional poll.
By the Numbers
- Stonehill's (11-4-4, 8-1-4 NE10) totaled 14 shots with nine shots on goal.
- Southern Connecticut State University (9-6-4, 5-4-4 NE10) saw Amanda Dustin with the game-winning goal, while goalkeeper Allie Smith notched nine saves in the win.
How it Happened:
- Stonehill saw the first shot on goal in the 3rd minute of the game as Emily Rosano sent a far strike from the top right corner of the 18-yard box as it was caught by Smith.
- Southern Connecticut, in the 23rd minute, put up a great opportunity to put a tally on the board by Johanna Wahlen's shot from the top of the 18, but it just sailed over the cross bar.
- Camryn Thompson received the ball at the top of the 18 with 12 minutes remaining in the half, finding Kayla Henry as she pushed past defenders for a blocked shot setting up the games' first corner. Nicole Geraghty sent in an inswinger and after it was intercepted by an Owl defender, Emma Slade headed it into the keepers' hands.
- Stonehill's offensive attack was strong at the start of the second half with back-to-back shots inside the 18, the first from Thompson that was blocked followed by a shot by Jenna Nasuti that was saved in the 47th minute of play.
- The Skyhawks' Geraghty connected on another opportunity with a chipped shot from about 25 yards out that was stopped by Smith's outstretched hands at 73:27.
- Stonehill was called for a foul about 35 yards out and Amanda Dustin took the strike as the ball hit the underside of the cross bar to give the Owls a 1-0 advantage at 76:30.
- The Skyhawks continued to fight, but the Owls' defense held strong for the remaining time.
Southern Connecticut State University, the second seed, moves on to the NE10 semifinal round to face the sixth-seeded American International in Springfield, Massachusetts. Stonehill will now await word on a potential NCAA bid when the pairings are announced at 6:00 p.m. on Monday, November 18 via webstream on NCAA.com.
For the latest on Stonehill Athletics, follow the Skyhawks via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Stonehill Skyhawks "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.