Geraghty scores lone goal, for her sixth of the season
EASTON, Massachusetts (October 26, 2019) – The Stonehill College women's soccer team, who is ranked No. 18 in this week's United Soccer Coaches' National poll and No. 2 in the East Regional poll, played to a 1-1 double overtime battle against Adelphi University, who is No. 5 in the East Region poll, on Skyhawk Field Saturday afternoon in Northeast-10 Conference play.
By the Numbers
- Stonehill's (10-3-2, 7-1-2 NE10) Kaitlin Brown tallied four saves.
- Senior Nicole Geraghty scored the lone goal for the Skyhawks as she tallied her sixth goal of the season and 15th of her career. Junior Kayla Henry assisted on the play for her fifth helper of the season and 12th of her career.
- Adelphi (9-3-1, 8-2-1 NE10) saw Sarah Hofmeier with five saves, while Alexsis Weiser recorded the goal for the Panthers and Maialen Herreros chipped in the helper.
How it Happened:
- The Skyhawks saw two early chances from Camryn Thompson in the first 16 minutes of play for two shots on goal in a span of four minutes.
- Weiser tallied the Panthers first shot on goal in the 34th minute of play as Brown was able to recover the ball.
- At the end of the first half, Adelphi held the shot advantage, 4-3, and the Panthers were called for four fouls and the Skyhawks were called for three.
- Henry recorded the first shot of the second half, four minutes into play, which sailed high above the crossbar, as Thompson followed with one of her own in the 52nd minute.
Henry tallied the assist for her fifth of the season and 12th of her career (PHOTO BY: Mary Gettens)
- In the 66th minute, Stonehill's Henry set up a few yards behind the 18-yard box for a set piece, as Hofmeier was able to catch the strike for one of her five saves.
- Stonehill won possession of back-to-back goal kicks and on the second try, Henry dribbled the ball forward, as Geraghty battled a defender and put the ball just under the crossbar from the top of the six-yard box to even the score, 1-1, at 66:15.
- At the end of regulation, the Panthers held a slight shot advantage, 12-11, as both keepers recorded a total of four saves in the two halves.
- Through both overtime periods, Adelphi outshot the Skyhawks 5-2, as Geraghty recorded the lone shot on goal in the 106th minute of play.
Outside the Lines:
- This is the third-straight year that the Skyhawks and Panthers have played in an overtime match, with the record standing 1-1-1 between the two teams.
- Stonehill has now played in four overtime games with their record standing 0-2-2 this season.
Stonehill travels to Pace University for a mid-week night game on Wednesday, October 30 for a kick off at 7:00 p.m. at Pace Stadium
For the latest on Stonehill Athletics, follow the Skyhawks via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Stonehill Skyhawks "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.