Sophomore Nick Hyzak posted wins at No. 1 doubles and No. 2 singles on Tuesday.
Skyhawks notch second-straight win behind five double-winners
MANCHESTER, N.H. (April 10, 2012) – Stonehill College, ranked eighth in the NCAA Division II East Regional rankings, posted its second straight win with a 9-0 triumph at Saint Anselm College in Northeast-10 Conference men's tennis action this afternoon.
Freshman Eric Ringstad (Fairbanks, Alaska/Monroe Catholic) and sophomore Nick Hyzak (Guilford, Conn./Guilford) led five double-winners for Stonehill, starting with an 8-4 win at No. 2 doubles. Ringstad followed with a 6-3, 6-1 victory over Saint Anselm freshman Nick Schwab (Seaford, N.Y./Saint Anthony's) at No. 1 singles, while Hyzak topped senior Alex Schultheis (Cranston, R.I./Bishop Hendricken) 6-2, 6-2 at No. 2.
Sophomore Brett Armstrong (Manville, R.I./Mount Saint Charles Academy) and freshman Thomas Alaimo (North Andover, Mass./Central Catholic) combined for an 8-0 sweep at No. 3 doubles. Alaimo followed with a 6-1, 6-2 decision at No. 3 singles over Saint Anselm junior Joseph Zucchi (Methuen, Mass./Central Catholic), while Armstrong claimed a 6-1, 6-1 win over junior Michael Hanna (Southborough, Mass./Algonquin Regional) at No. 5.
Senior Aaron Bergeron (Gorham, Maine/Gorham) rounds out the double-winners for Stonehill after cruising to a 6-2, 6-2 win at No. 4 singles after teaming up with junior Chris Martin (Darien, Conn./Darien) for an 8-2 triumph at No. 1 doubles. Freshman Jonathan Sanders (Holbrook, N.Y./Saint Anthony's) picked up a point for the Skyhawks with a 6-1, 6-1 win at No. 6 singles.
Stonehill (13-3, 7-2 NE-10) is right back in action tomorrow when it hosts Adelphi University for a key NE-10 matchup at Charles Watt Tennis Courts at 2 p.m. Saint Anselm (2-9, 1-9 NE-10) visits Wheaton College tomorrow at 4 p.m.
Stonehill 9, Saint Anselm 0
1. Eric Ringstad (STO) def. Nick Schwab (STA) 6-3, 6-1
2. Nick Hyzak (STO) def. Alex Schultheis (STA) 6-2, 6-2
3. Thomas Alaimo (STO) def. Joe Zucchi (STA) 6-1, 6-2
4. Aaron Bergeron (STO) def. William Condon (STA) 6-2, 6-2
5. Brett Armstrong (STO) def. Michael Hanna (STA) 6-1, 6-1
6. Jonathan Sanders (STO) def. Liam Concannon (STA) 6-1, 6-1
1. Bergeron/Chris Martin (STO) def. Schwab/Schultheis (STA) 8-2
2. Ringstad/Hyzak (STO) def. Zucchi/Condon (STA) 8-4
3. Alaimo/Armstrong (STO) def. Hanna/Concannon (STA) 8-0
* - doubles matches played first