Freshman Eric Ringstad was a double-winner for the Skyhawks on Saturday with wins at No. 1 singles and doubles.
Skyhawks cruise in first NE-10 match of spring semester
EASTON, Mass. (March 24, 2012) – Stonehill College, ranked tenth in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) East Regional rankings, returned to Conference play and cruised to a 9-0 victory over American International College in Northeast-10 Conference men's tennis action at Charles Watt Tennis Courts this afternoon.
Freshman Eric Ringstad (Fairbanks, Alaska/Monroe Catholic) led Stonehill as it remained perfect in Conference play as a double-winner. Ringstad posted a 7-5, 6-2 win over American International freshman James Worrell (Epsom, England) at No. 1 singles after combining with senior Aaron Bergeron (Gorham, Maine/Gorham) for an 8-3 decision at No. 1 doubles.
Freshman Thomas Alaimo (North Andover, Mass./Central Catholic) coasted to a 6-1, 6-0 win over AIC sophomore Nick Lyons (Madison, Conn./Daniel Hand) at No. 2 singles. The Skyhawks received three of the five points needed for victory by way of default victories at No. 3 doubles and No. 5 and No. 6 singles. Sophomores Taylor Whitcomb (Round Top, N.Y./Cairo-Durham) and Kyle Sutter (Manhasset, N.Y./Manhasset) both posted 6-0, 6-0 singles wins at No. 3 and No. 4 singles, respectively.
Stonehill (10-1, 4-0 NE-10) is back in action on Friday when it visits rival Bentley University for a key NE-10 matchup at 3:30 p.m. TOMORROW'S SCHEDULED CONTEST AT ASSUMPTION COLLEGE HAS BEEN POSTPONED. It will be made up on Saturday, March 31, at noon. The Skyhawks next home match is Thursday, April 5, when it hosts Southern New Hampshire University on Charles Watt Courts at 3:30 p.m. American International (0-1, 0-1 NE-10) visits Bentley University on Tuesday at 3:30 p.m.
Stonehill 9, American International 0
1. Eric Ringstad (STO) def. James Worrall (AIC) 7-5, 6-2
2. Thomas Alaimo (STO) def. Nick Lyon (AIC) 6-1, 6-0
3. Taylor Whitcomb (STO) def. Chandler Long (AIC) 6-0, 6-0
4. Kyle Sutter (STO) def. Jason Popek (AIC) 6-0, 6-0
5. Brett Armstrong (STO) won by default
6. Jared Drzal (STO) won by default
1. Ringstad/Aaron Bergeron (STO) def. Worrall/Lyon (AIC) 8-3
2. Armstrong/Nick Hyzak (STO) def. Long/Popek (AIC) 8-0
3. Alaimo/Drzal (STO) won by default
* - doubles matches played first