Pereira tallied his fourth goal of his career
SPRINGFIELD, Massachusetts (October 18, 2019) – The Stonehill College men's soccer team played in its second overtime game of the season as American International College found the back of the net in extra time for a 2-1 victory over the Skyhawks on Ronald J. Abdow Field on Friday afternoon in Northeast-10 Conference play.
By the Numbers
- Stonehill (3-8-1, 1-5-1 NE10) sophomore Ian Pereira tallied his fourth goal of his career, while senior Keegan Nutt picked up his second assist of the season and sixth of his career.
- American International College (6-4-1, 4-3-1 NE10) saw Josip Validzic and Connor Hicks with the goals, while Yanis Boucetta and Adrian Romero recorded the assists.
- The Yellow Jackets outshot the Skyhawks 26-12, while Stonehill was called for 14 fouls and American International picked up 12 fouls.
How it Happened:
- The Yellow Jackets outshot the Skyhawks 14-5 in the first half, as Stonehill stopped five shots on goal to American International's one shot on goal.
- Senior Billy Troast made a diving save in the second half as the Yellow Jackets' Jake Durham collected a cross and tried to find the back left post but was stopped by Troast at 62:42.
- In the 71st minute of the game, Stonehill moved the ball easily through their attacking third as Nutt found an open pass to Pereira, who was inside the 18-yard box. Pereira took a touch with his right foot to control the ball and then sent a shot with his left foot to the back of the net putting the Skyhawks up 1-0 at 70:31.
- Troast made another huge save in the 86th minute, as Felipe Novelini looked to split defenders after receiving a volley from 10 yards back.
- With three minutes remaining in the second half, Stonehill was aggressive in their attack as they saw a free kick and a few shots, but were unsuccessful in capitalizing on last minute opportunities.
- Following a Skyhawk corner, the Yellow Jackets cut off the pass and took it from end to end. American International headed the ball down after Stonehill looked to clear it out of the 18-yard box and Validzic drew the goalkeeper out of the box to find an open opportunity to tie the game at 87:48.
Nutt recorded his sixth helper of his career (PHOTO BY: Mary Gettens)
Outside the Lines:
- Stonehill has now lost one overtime game and tied another overtime game in early October.
- This was the second overtime game for the Yellow Jackets, as they are now 2-0 in overtime wins.
Stonehill will play NE10 Conference foe College of Saint Rose (8-2-1, 4-1-1 NE10) for a mid-week contest on Wednesday, October 23 with a 3:00 p.m. start on Skyhawk Field.
For the latest on Stonehill Athletics, follow the Skyhawks via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Stonehill Skyhawks "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.